Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Lessons From Life


      The things that go on in a day with our kids are often perfect pictures of  some aspect of walking with God.  Oftentimes I have been too busy to notice the spiritual truths that are right under my nose.  God wants me to know Him so desperately that He uses every facet of life around me to tell me what is true.  On one such day He chose to use a situation with my son.


       On this particular day two of my kids were struggling to get along.  Thankfully my husband had come home for lunch just in time. Otherwise, I might have reacted out of my frustration.  My husband stepped in and began to challenge our teenage son to turn away from his flesh and choose the path of life.  He didn’t go after the behavior, he went after his heart.


     My son’s defense that day was that his sister wouldn’t stop when asked  to so he took matters into his own hands.  He decided he would make her stop.  It wasn’t good.  It never is.  If they would just come to me for help, things would be so much better.  I began to explain to him that it’s not working because he doesn’t use the authority set up for him.  


    To finish this article, visit me at Heart of the Matter Online

©copyrighed 2008 by Julie L. Todd

10 comments:

LIFESPEAKER said... Reply to comment

I will go and finish this. In my older age I need to be reminded to choose the life path! A while back you recommende I read THE SHACK. Finally got to........THANK YOU. It is fabulous!

Karen Hossink said... Reply to comment

"The lights turn on for me in the midst of training up my child."
Oh, I hear you! In fact I just finished writing the manuscript for my book about this very thing - God speaking to me through my experiences with my kids. He is so good!

Connie Barris said... Reply to comment

Julie Todd is a daughter of God who has been ruined for the ordinary

I love this.. and you know.. if we look... the extraordinary is everywhere....

Love what you had to say... AMEN

love ya girl

Mom2Mom Ministry said... Reply to comment

Wonderful article. Gosh, how that spoke to my own reactions to my kids. I so need wisdom in parenting their own hearts, not their behavior. Thanks for reminding me.
julie
www.homeschoolblogger.com/juliestew

Laura said... Reply to comment

Hey, Julie! You were right on about the conference, that is exactly what it is. The Proverbs 31 Ministry ladies have a heart for encouraging other women and giving them the tools they need for success in their ministries. I have gone for three years in a row now, and have watched it grow. there were 560 women there this weekend! Isn't that amazing? Part of the wonderful experience of it all is being surrounded by so many sisters in the faith. It is a blessing and i am so grateful for the opportunity. Thank you for your encouragement, and sweet sweet words. You are such a blessing to me!

Anonymous said... Reply to comment

I LOVED your response to the post about the Disney Princesses on a blog I was just reading. I just had to stop by and let you know that I felt you were spot on. It was beautiful and reminded me of the book Captivating. I will be reading more of your stuff.

Gretchen said... Reply to comment

I read, and am challenged to seek Him first.

xxxooogretchen

Tea with Tiffany said... Reply to comment

Posting the comment I wrote on that site to your personal one too.

I'm right with you, Julie. I've found myself in that place of learning through my kids. Especially when they don't behave. I realize I am no different.

So glad we have a gracious and loving God, who always forgives and welcomes us to abide in Him all over again. The sweet life of surrender.

Much love and hugs,
Tiffany

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said... Reply to comment

Powerful, powerful post!

Laura said... Reply to comment

Hi, Julie! I hope you are having wonderful times with your daughter home. How long do you have her with you? Trusting is hard...of course, I am talking about leaving our church. It has been a difficult journey, but softened by the knowledge that He is in charge.
Always, your friend,
Laura