Saturday, August 14, 2010

Captured by His grace©

It happened again this past week. Another one of my babies became an adult. It's a bit more daunting this go around. I must let go, trusting that this man-child whom I love will find his own path. It leaves my heart feeling torn as I rejoice over his time to fly, yet grieve for the life I've known with him, changing in an instant. It's a bitter/sweet moment in the life of a mother.

I came at some things later in life. Now in what feels like the last few moments of influence there is one piece of wisdom that resonates from the depths of my being I yearn for him to know. It is in utter dependence on the One who formed him in my womb that he will find his life.

I've walked the path of the capable, independent life where self-effort leads. I know it's cost all too well. Grace is not realized there. I see those things trying to make their way into my son's life as he tries to stand on his own two feet. As I watch, I yearn for him to know what I didn't know. In need he will find his path.

The emotions welled up inviting the tears to cascade down my cheeks. In a moment it hit some place deep inside me as I realized. These aches I feel for my boy have been God's for me. In patient love He has waited for me to come. I am astounded as I understand more intimately this unconditional love that watches, waits and yearns.

God has yearned for me to need Him for all things, not just the things I could not manage on my own. He never intended that I figure out this life I've been given. He's longed for me to know who I am to Him. He's waited for me to utterly need Him in the depths of my being. For it is need that opens the passageway to receive His beautiful grace.

Self-effort kept me off the path of life. Independence bolted the door. Being a capable woman hindered my rescue.

Need led me to the door of life, humility turned the handle while trust opened my heart to receive. It was then that grace began to be realized in me. Grace is Christ's efforts that fulfilled all things, given in exchange for mine.

Humility is not the absence of pride. It's being desperate enough to receive from God and those He places in my path. Trust is the driving force that allows me to receive Christ's life in it's totality. Without trust I will live between two worlds; the world of trying to do all the right things to please God with my righteous acts of service and the world of grace where the life of Christ is lived from the inside out. They are two very different worlds.

It's one of the most vital things I've seen in my life. My attempts have kept me from the beautiful life of Christ inside me waiting to be lived out.

Christ has done it all. It's over. It really is finished. Every requirement that was placed on mankind has been satisfied. It's not what I do that pleases Him. It's living in who I am. The old covenant is fulfilled, and never to be mixed with the new. Everything started afresh at the resurrection.

The slate was wiped clean, and continues to be each and every moment of each and every day. There are no record of wrongs kept. No longer does shame cover me. I am righteous, holy, godly not because of what I do but because of what He did.

I have encountered Him in my midst. I have found the beauty that lies within weakness and need. It is in that place He comes in all His glory to awaken me to all of Him in me.

He has captured me with His grace. Step by step I am learning to walk, sometimes baby steps, sometimes strides. I have wrestled with God. He has overcome me. Though I may still walk with a limp I will never be the same again. Slowly but surely, I am learning to live from the inside out. As He yearns for me I yearn for my own. May they too will be captured by His beautiful grace.

©copyrighted: 2010, Julie L. Todd









9 comments:

Karen said... Reply to comment

Beautiful worded as always, Julie...those bittersweet mama moments do bring us a little closer to the realization of the depth of His love for us...

This part really spoke to me...
"Self-effort kept me off the path of life. Independence bolted the door. Being a capable woman hindered my rescue. Need led me to the door of Christ's life in me, humility turned the handle, trust opened my heart to receive. "...amen! That is it!

Anonymous said... Reply to comment

Julie, just beautiful. Iso relate to this:
"Need led me to the door of life, humility turned the handle while trust opened my heart to receive. It was then that grace began to be realized in me. Grace is Christ's efforts that fulfilled all things, given in exchange for mine."

So glad it is finished - that I don't have to do anything more.

achildoftheking said... Reply to comment

I love this paragraph: "Need led me to the door of life, humility turned the handle while trust opened my heart to receive. It was then that grace began to be realized in me. Grace is Christ's efforts that fulfilled all things, given in exchange for mine."

I love your writings for the LORD Julie. Praise God! I cried as I read this post today.

Amy Lynne said... Reply to comment

Hey Julie!!

I love your beautiful words posted here.

I've missed talking to you during the past few weeks...We're getting settled back into our home-school schedule this week...And God continues to do awesome things in our lives. HE AMAZES me!!

Love you so much!
Amy

sparrow girl said... Reply to comment

I loved all of this! I needed to be reminded of these truths today!

"I have wrestled with God. He overcame me." I love that and I've lived it! So glad His grace captures us!

Thank you, Julie, and thank You, God!

Unknown said... Reply to comment

Hi Julie.. so glad you came by to visit me at http://glassofsweettea.blogspot.com/
I enjoyed browsing your blog as well, and look forward to coming back again..
God Bless you.. see you again soon

Bek said... Reply to comment

So beautifully written. Thank you for sharing.

Katie said... Reply to comment

Amen!

Isn't it amazing how God can take something difficult in life, and use it to show us a new depth of His love? He keeps doing that same thing in me, as well...letting me feel something that makes my heart ache. And then showing me that this is a sampling of how His heart has ached for me. And then He does it again...and again. And yet, this ache from Him...it's strong and powerful, but its weight is not heavy and it does not weigh me down. Somehow it frees me even more...

He is so good, and His mercies are new every morning, and His faithful extends to the heavens!

Shanda said... Reply to comment

"There are no record of wrongs kept. No longer does shame cover me. I am righteous, holy, godly not because of what I do but because of what He did."

I'm learning to practice these truths. Even when I don't quite think I believe, I remind myself and focus on them and my heart begins to soften to allow them to dwell there. I love the encouragement that your words, life and love always bring!

Love ya!
Shanda