Friday, July 2, 2010

The Cries of the Heart©

Before I had children I often heard women speak of the different cries their children had and how they knew what each one meant. I couldn’t fathom how one would know the difference. Then I became a mother and I understood.


There were different cries for different needs. I knew them all. Even when they could not speak a word I knew from the sound of their tears what they were crying out for. Their need warranted my coming for them. I didn’t wait for them to express what was going on correctly. As their cries resounded, immediately I ran to gather them up.


I remember the day like it was yesterday, yet more than 6 years have passed. Times were tough and life was hard. I could feel the effects of the storms we found ourselves in the midst of. On this particular day I had reached the end. I felt the tears waiting just behind my eyes. As bedtime approached I started the water in the tub. I needed a place to escape and let loose. Once I stepped in, the dam of emotions broke loose sending it's rivulets down my cheeks.


It didn't take long for the sobs hidden someplace deep to find their way up and out. As I soaked my body, my soul released the longings of my heart. There were no words to speak. I was void of them. Where was God? I didn't have the energy to pray as I had been taught to do. Truth is I couldn't even breathe the word, "help". Wasn’t I supposed to cry out for help in order for God to come? What would happen to me now? I was about to find out.


I didn't do one thing, I didn’t utter one word, yet Jesus came.


It was the beginning to an end for me. All these years I’d been trying to do and say all the things I was supposed to so that He could show up for me. Yet when I couldn’t do any of them He came in the most beautiful way.


I was totally and completely bereft of words, actions, godly attitudes and choices, yet God came near to me and lifted me up into His arms' embrace. I didn’t do one thing and still He came. It was in that moment I began to see something new and fresh. It's not about what I do that makes the difference, it's about who I am to Him.


I couldn’t get over it. I still can’t.


Tears are the language of the heart. Jesus knows what they mean. He reads them and rides on the heavens to save me. I don’t have to say the right words or have the right posture. I simply need. It is my need that warrants His rescue.


As a mother comforts her child, so He comforts me. His great love stands ready, listening for my deep need to be made known. It's absolutely mind blowing when I think about it, just as I heard the needs of my children in their tears, He hears the cries of my heart.


"There is no one like the God of Jeshurun, who rides on the heavens to help

you and on the clouds in his majesty. The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms.” Deut. 33:26-27b

©copyrighted: 2010; Julie L. Todd





7 comments:

Anonymous said... Reply to comment

Thank you for this post Julie. I have speaking that language of the heart more than english these days.

So glad that He speaks my heart language, because I am having trouble putting anything my heart is feeling in words. xo

BARBIE said... Reply to comment

Thank you for sharing this. I've had moments with the Lord before where He came and completely overwhelmed me and the tears came, and I was washed anew and drank of His refreshing water. I am so thankful for a God who knows the deepness of our heart and will come in a "suddenly" moment and bring just the heart medicine we need at that moment.

achildoftheking said... Reply to comment

Yes, LORD! Praise God! Great message Julie.

Amy Lynne said... Reply to comment

This is SO beautiful, Julie!

It's so true...Jesus is with me continually. Even when I don't speak a word or utter a prayer...He's always there and He knows precisely when to reveal Himself to me and how to pray in and through me. I don't have to do a thing on my own. It's amazing!

I love how Paul explains this in Romans 8:26, "In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express (NIV).

I love The Message version of Romans 8:26:

"Meanwhile, the moment we get tired in the waiting, God's Spirit is right alongside us helping us along. If we don't know how or what to pray, it doesn't matter. He does our praying in and for us, making prayer out of our wordless sighs, and aching groans."

I think this is the most exciting thing about walking with Jesus...He prays in and through us always! What freedom it is to walk in the Spirit!

Wow! This post has gotten me singing praises to Jesus today for His Spirit that lives in me and prays through me.

Hallelujah!

Manda said... Reply to comment

Tears are the language of the heart... I couldn't agree more. I'm thankful for His tenderness to console and collect those precious heart-felt tears.

Karen said... Reply to comment

Beautiful sharing, Julie...

" I simply need. It is my need that warrants His rescue."...so simple...yet we wait...or refuse...while He stands ready to rescue....

Crown of Beauty said... Reply to comment

This is such a tender story of the father's love for you.

How beautifully you expressed your pain, without words, to him - just tears and sobs, and He knew that was the breaking point he was waiting for.

He came to the rescue - He always does.

When you reached the end of yourself, He stepped in.

I could relate with the words of this post, cause it also happened to me, although the circumstances may have differed.

Thanks for being honest and transparent enough to allow us a glimpse into your soul.

Love
Lidj